A very interesting copyright case has made the news recently regarding the publication of a novel by a Swedish writer Fredrik Colting titled Sixty Years Later: Coming Through the Rye. The book centers on the fictional character "Mr. C", although not ever explicitly stated as such, is clearly an aged Holden Caulfield, the main character of J. D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. Salinger sued to halt publication in the U.S. and a judge has issued an injunction against its U.S. publisher (the book has already been published in Britain).
There are many interesting angles in this case but what may be the most intriguing is if the case ultimately goes to trial, will the extremely reclusive, 90-year old Salinger agree to either be interviewed for a deposition or to testify?
- ► 2015 (19)
- ► 2014 (40)
- ► 2013 (39)
- ► 2012 (64)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (111)
- jonathan tropper
- Literary Smackdown
- Our Noise
- I added David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest to ou...
- 60th anniversary of the National Book Award
- So You've Read House of Leaves
- July's Poet of the Month: W.S. Merwin
- Sixty Years Later
- Interview with Andrei Codrescu
- I'm Looking for a Book. It's Got a Green Cover . ...
- ▼ July (10)
- ► 2008 (66)